简体
Keep Up English, baby! Video Lesson
跟上

Learn English with this party English lesson

Date: Apr 09 2013

Themes: Party, Soap Opera

Grammar: Imperative Form

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Imagine you’re going on a run with some friends. You all start out running at the same speed, but soon you start to get tired. Your friends keep running at a faster pace, but you start slowing down. You just can’t keep up with them anymore.

Or maybe you’re speaking English to a friend who is just starting to learn. You tell your friend that you hope he can keep up with the conversation, since you are more advanced. Or you attend a mathematics class, and you have some trouble keeping up because the difficulty level is beyond you. To keep up simply means to stay at the same pace or level of performance as the rest of the people around you.

Jeff just went out for a night on the town with Lily and her friends. Find out if he was able to keep up with their partying in this party English lesson.

想象一下,你正在和几个朋友一起跑步。你们以相同的速度起跑,但你很快便开始感觉累了。你的朋友们仍以较快的速度前进,而你却开始慢下来。你无法再跟上他们。

或者是,你正在同一位刚刚开始学习英语的朋友进行英语对话。你对他说,希望他能跟上你们的谈话,因为你的水平较高。又或者,你去上数学课,由于难度级别超过了你的能力,让你觉得有些跟不上。简单来说,“跟上”是指与你身边的人保持同样的速度或能力水平。

杰夫刚刚同莉莉和她的朋友们到镇上玩了一夜。在本节以聚会为话题的英语课上,看看杰夫能否跟上他们的派对节奏。

3. Watch - Watch the video without reading the dialog.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Lily

Lily

Greta

Greta

Jeff

Jeff

Lily:  Hi.

Greta:  Hi. I’m here for a meeting with Jeff.

Lily:  Oh, you mean Bon Jovi?

Greta:  Bon Jovi?

Lily:  Yeah. This guy totally killed it last night at karaoke signing Bon Jovi.

Jeff:  Whoa-oh! Livin’!

Greta:  Wow.

Lily:  Yeah, he actually won the karaoke contest using that song.

Greta:  Amazing.

Jeff:  It was amazing. Mason didn’t think I could keep up, but we pretty much partied all night. They wanted to go to bed, I wanted to go to breakfast. You should’ve seen it.

Lily:  Yeah, but you didn’t keep up with us as far as drinking goes. You were sipping club soda all night, and we threw back whiskey.

Jeff:  Alcohol is very hard on my voice.

Greta:  Wow, Jeff. I didn’t know you were a singer. Singer, climatologist, healer. It’s hard to keep up with all your talents.

Jeff:  Yeah. Thanks! Well, thanks for showing up for this meeting. Let’s get started.

Greta:  OK. Great. Cause I have a lot of things that I want to talk about. First of all, I’m having a really hard time picking a winner of the “dating me” contest on the website. And…Jeff? Jeff! Jeff, if we’re gonna have this meeting, you’ve got to keep up with what I’m saying.

Jeff:  OK. 

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Imperative Form" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Greta comes into the office for a meeting with Jeff. Lily tells her that Jeff did an excellent job at karaoke the night before. He even won the karaoke contest by singing a song by 80s hard rock band Bon Jovi. He really kept up with Lily and her friends, although he didn’t drink as much as they did.

Greta is impressed that Jeff won the contest, but she’s mainly interested in getting on with her meeting. She has many things to discuss with him, about her dating contest and more. Unfortunately, Jeff’s night out made him very tired. He’s falling asleep, and may not be able to keep up with Greta.

Can you remember a time when you couldn’t keep up with your friends? What did you do to try to keep up?

Comments

VOLTS

VOLTSSuper Member!

Brazil

wow… singer, climatologist, healer,... what’s next ? formula 1 pilot ? astronaut?? american president?....  what about a super hero called “super gay”? LOL… that would be cool   :)

06:05 AM Apr 23 2013 |

Marcel We

Marcel We

Germany

Well, I think “to keep up” is a very interesting and significant term nowadays. What I’m trying to say is that it’s quite hard to keep up with things these days whether it’s about fashion or technology for example. To be sure I think it’s almost impossible to keep up with things like you want to. This also applies with school because for me it’s already some kind impossible thing to maintain my level. Today things develop much faster than it was the case before and I also think that this will continue in future. To survive in today’s world you have to know exactly what you want from life and you also have to keep a cool head.

03:16 PM Apr 12 2013 |

deadlygerm

deadlygerm

Taiwan

I had some experiences that keep up before. My new zealand frirend she was born at new zealand so their traditaions is speak english fast. If you say too slow to talk someone that they will feel a little impolite to someone. But their tradition make learning people a lot of problem because we can’t keep up them.

11:38 AM Apr 12 2013 |

wonderwhy

wonderwhy

China

In my college, when i chat with the foreign student, often ,i cant keep up with them . I always have myself to follow them fastly.And ,sometimes, I ask them repeat it to me.But that is embarrassing.

10:07 AM Apr 12 2013 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

I think there’s no such a thing as age on the Internet ;) Everyone is of the same age here. That’s one of the beauty of it:) competing shoulder to shoulder, sharing and caring and, of course, keeping up. So let’s ease the burden of spiralling lessons and get them cracked on time and in time;)

03:16 AM Apr 12 2013 |

dreadslayer

Turkey

first time i was in England.although i thought i knew english very well .after i heard their accent. i was very disappointed.it wasnt like i thought before. as if they were speaking another language ( no exaggration) before i went there .my foreign language  teachers at school who were american language speaker.that’s why i couldnt keep up people around me over there..

07:00 PM Apr 10 2013 |

1 person likes this

Tiramisu99

Tiramisu99

China

I can’t keep up with some foreigners when we chat in english, sometimes,due to the fast speaking and different pronunciation,i misunderstood what they said.it is made me feel embarrassed.but now when i can’t get what thwy said i usually request he/she to repeat and said more slowly.:0

12:57 PM Apr 10 2013 |

Moriza

Moriza

Ukraine

Dear Damavand,

All of us smtm use words that are interpreted in another sense by another people.

After your explanation I see that your intentions weren,t bad.Everyone here is able to express his/her opinions in a free way.Don,t worry,and don,t stop writing your comments.Evrth will be ok,just our “too old” ebabians are very great people,I value them so much.And when we are in their age,I,d wish the youngs love and respect us .

12:26 PM Apr 10 2013 |

DAMAVAND

DAMAVAND

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Dear Seiyf, why sorrow? I can’t understand what made you sad!

All of us, one day, will leave not only this site but also this world forever, and who know when it comes his/her turn?!In order that, why are we  depressed and unhappy? For which reason?

You began your sentences with” many centuries ago” and I continued it in the same manner, used “too old” for expressing their experience and “energy” for encourage them to reply me while they see those sentences. I respect to every people and their personal issues in being here or not and never wanted blame somebody or challenge others, believe me please. However, if my comments annoy you, I’ll remove them all.

As I told before, never want to be rude or annoy someone, I wanted you to smile and inspired you with hope, but I see, I made a mistake maybe in using those words! And situation is worse now; by the way please accept my apology.

11:58 AM Apr 10 2013 |

lovelopez

lovelopez

United States

It is difficult to keep up a conversation with someone who only says Yes and No

08:09 AM Apr 10 2013 |

MESS

MESS

Turkey

I can keep up with anything if I have the “desire” to do so, but if not, I let it go because generally the things for which I have no desire are triffle issues that do not have much importance or priority in my life.

06:48 AM Apr 10 2013 |

thiagokami

thiagokami

Brazil

I remember when I was at school. I used to play volleyball with my friends, but they were so fast and I couldn’t keep up with them. So I decided to practice every day with André and Ana, They used to play very well at that time.

After some weeks, I could keep up with all of them and blew everybody away!

11:08 PM Apr 09 2013 |

Yllod olop

Yllod olop

Colombia

When i throw back  beer or some licor with my friends or family, my body can´t to keep up with them…. I generally get sleepy. I have to dance or eat something to keep up with them again…. 

However, there isn´t  noone can to keep up with me when i am dancing all night. :)

10:21 PM Apr 09 2013 |

julito

julito

Argentina

Now I have my own pace, I can´t keep up  for much that I would want  and   stay awake  till dawn as many youngs  do. As for studies, except english idiom i must confess that i had been a quitter  and now i regret it.  My advice  to my friends that are studing  english is  keeping up studying   ,set  your goals high, don´t worry if you make mistakes,practise as much as you can.  

08:48 PM Apr 09 2013 |

DAMAVAND

DAMAVAND

Dear Moriza, it was just kidding with them without any impolite sense, i know what you said and agree with you, also know those people named well, they are my experienced friend and respectable ones actually, all of them are young and have positive energy as you said,when i said “too old” i meant they have enough experience and valuable persons, not any bad things may you think :)

08:07 PM Apr 09 2013 |

DarknessLight

Germany

I never seem to keep up with people who stay up all night. It’s impossible for me, no matter what I do I can’t help but doze off. I sometimes wonder how do they do it, why can’t I do it? naps, caffeinated drinks, apples, nothing seems to work. And then they’d make fun of me the next day for not keeping up with them. :l

07:05 PM Apr 09 2013 |

Moriza

Moriza

Ukraine

Damavand, Those “too old people” as you called them are worth the whole army of the young.If you knew them closer, you,d never say it ab them.Many young people learnt a lot from their informative and interesting comments.And if some of them left this site-they had their reasons for it ,and it,s their right.

Believe me,(I know some of them rather well) they have enough energy to write and express their views in a best way;most youngs can envy them and need not less time and efforts to reach their level.

07:02 PM Apr 09 2013 |

naira71

naira71

Azerbaijan

I dont keep up with my daughter,she is full of energy and she is interested in everything in the life.Its so good but sometimes I am tired of it.

07:01 PM Apr 09 2013 |

amir_mehdi

amir_mehdi

I can’t keep up with my dreams, they are always too stronger than my abilities, however I do my best. 

06:55 PM Apr 09 2013 |

masoudhsn

masoudhsn

Canada

In order to keep up with others, we need to kill it. I mean, we should try our best to achieve to our dream. Being up to date about anything is the best way to keep up with people. To obtain this level of ability, we should be prolific in different aspects of our living situation. For instance, if an issue is beyond us, we should ask or search to find it’s answer. consequently, we are able to keep up with other people when they are ahead of us.

06:50 PM Apr 09 2013 |

1 person likes this

Likes (24):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: