Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Reflexive Pronouns

Reflexive pronouns are used in English when the subject of the sentence is also the object of the verb. Simply add the appropriate pronoun with the ending –self or ­–selves after the verb. For example, "Let me introduce myself. My name is Sonia," or, "The children enjoyed themselves at the beach."

Some verbs change their meaning slightly when they have a reflexive pronoun as direct object. For instance, "She found herself at the grocery store," or, "We will help ourselves to some coffee." To find oneself means to discover oneself in a surprising place or situation, and to help oneself means to take.

Unlike in other languages, we do not use a reflexive pronoun after verbs which describe things people usually do for themselves. Verbs like wash, dress, and shave do not usually include a reflexive pronoun.

However, reflexive pronouns are used in this way to stress that someone can do something without help. For example, "My daughter can dress herself now that she's five," or, "I can feed myself. I don't need your help!"

Reflexive Pronouns Grammar Quiz

1. I want to teach how to play the guitar.

2. The bird hurt when it fell out of the tree.

3. Did they enjoy at the party?

4. It's easy to cut with a knife if you're not careful.

5. Let's introduce to Brad Pitt!

Go Super to see the answers! Go Super!

Reflexive Pronouns Lessons:

Benedict Cumberbatch

All Y'all

Above the Law

Put Two and Two Together

Singles Awareness Day

Fast Food

Online Identities

Brangelina Divorce

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

joao correia

Brazil

1 –  myself  

2 –  itself 

3 –  themselves 

4 –  yourself 

5 – ourselves 

Is it correct? Isn’t it? 

08:05 PM Oct 12 2016 |

joao correia

Brazil

I would like learn English by myself. And it’s this that I am doing. 

08:01 PM Oct 12 2016 |