Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Hashtag Not My President
Hashtag Not My President

Learn English meaning of '#Not My President'

Date: Dec 16 2016

Themes: Celebrity, News, Pop Culture

Grammar: Relative Pronouns

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

On Tuesday, November 8th, 2016, millions of Americans voted for a new president. Donald Trump, a Republican and American businessman, won. Hillary Clinton, a Democrat and American politician, lost. Gary Johnson, a Libertarian and former governor, also lost. Donald Trump will become the president of the United States in January 2017. This makes some people extremely happy but makes other people feel very disappointed.

After November 8th, a new online trend began: #NotMyPresident. Americans who don’t want to accept Trump as president are using this hashtag on social media. In several big American cities, there have been protests against Trump. People at these protests don’t agree with Trump’s values. The protesters stand for things that they say Trump doesn’t agree with. The results of the 2016 election made many Americans want to be more active in politics.

Marni was surprised by the results of the 2016 U.S. presidential election. Listen as she tells Andy why she feels this way in today’s English lesson.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Andy_H

Andy_H

Marni

Marni

Andy_H:  Hey, Marni.

Marni:  Yeah, Andy? How are you feeling?

Andy_H:  Well, it looks like we are living in a completely different America.

Marni:  That seems to be the case. I was a little surprised at the election results.

Andy_H:  I have to say one thing that’s kind of flooring me is that I keep seeing #NotMyPresident on Facebook. It seems to be this social media trend that a lot of disappointed voters, who either voted for Hillary Clinton or Gary Johnson, are not ready to accept that Donald Trump will be their leader.

Marni:  Yeah. I am one of those people. I don’t know that I can accept him as our leader.

Andy_H:  So, what does that mean for 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020?

Marni:  I didn’t want somebody with his values in the White House. You know, he just is so against everything I stand for. I just feel like I need to be more socially active, more politically active, and do the good work that I don’t think our president will be doing.

Andy_H:  That seems to be the trend, that people want to have a bigger role in politics. I guess the coming months will show us what that looks like.

Marni:  Exactly. We’ll wait and see.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Relative Pronouns" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Andy and Marni are talking about the results of the 2016 U.S. presidential election. Andy thinks that life feels strange now, like he’s living in a different country. What is flooring him the most is a new hashtag trend. People who feel disappointed about the election are using #NotMyPresident to show that they’re against Trump.

Marni might be one of these people. She was surprised that Trump won, and she doesn’t like some of the things he may stand for as president. Marni wants a president with different values. Andy worries how Marni will live for the next 4 years if she doesn’t accept Trump. Marni says she plans to take a more active role in the country’s politics to make sure her voice is heard.

Are you active in your country’s politics? When was the last time you felt disappointed by something?

Comments

EVAfrommexico

Mexico

I don’t know if that man is good or bad, but I am pretty sure one day all of us will pay for our good or bad deeds. 

07:52 PM Jan 08 2017 |

Jeckily

Jeckily

Serbia and Montenegro

I am not politically active in my country. But I know that sucessess and failures are integral parts of life, so it is normal to be satisfied or disappointed by something, accordingly. There will always be the part dissatisfied by something, but the point is that Trump was elected by majority. 

02:16 PM Dec 21 2016 |

The Last Joke

Yemen

GUYS : it’s true that : Things happen for a reason .
  🔵We should always say in good or bad status Alhamdulillah (All praises and thank be to Allah)...

🔴 Whatever happens is Allah’s will.

وعسى أن تكرهوا شيئا وهو خير لكم وعسى أن تحبوا شيئا وهو شر لكم والله يعلم وأنتم لا تعلمون
 Allah said in Quran :
 But it is possible that you dislike a thing which is good for you, and that you love a thing which is bad for you. But Allah knows, and you know not.

🔴  Guys : it’s believing in destiny of Allah

04:27 PM Dec 18 2016 |

Amado79

Amado79

Jordan

its effect every spect of life in matter of the U.S election, but lets stand for  minute and think!

who bought him to this??? ain’t from the people , and to the people??

03:11 PM Dec 17 2016 |

Seiyfk

Seiyfk

Turkey

# Life begins with love

07:06 PM Dec 16 2016 |

GWTA

GWTASuper Member!

Germany

I belong to the people who like DT and I am happy, that he has won the election.

01:44 PM Dec 16 2016 |

Likes (9):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast