Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

hard to swallow

hard to swallow

Date: Feb 01 2018

Themes: Celebrity, Work

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“My male equivalent at the network wasn’t just making a little bit more than me but was making double my salary and has been for years. That was really hard to swallow.”

—News Anchor Catt Sadler, speaking about learning that her male coworker was paid twice as much money (People)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

difficult to believe; not easy to accept

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

At some time, everyone gets bad news. This is never fun, but it is a fact of life. Sometimes, bad news can be a little thing, like not getting to go out for ice cream on a hot day. But at other times, bad news can actually be really bad. For example, your girlfriend for three years might tell you that she doesn’t love you anymore. That would be hard to swallow.

When something is hard to swallow, it is difficult to hear or even believe. You might not accept it when you hear it, and it might take some time for you to understand the new information. News anchor Catt Sadler worked at E! News for years. She loved her job. But recently, she learned that another male news anchor at E! was paid twice as much as she was. This was really bad news because Catt did the same job that he did. She quit her job in protest because she thinks women and men are worth the same pay.

When did you hear some news that was hard to swallow? Would you quit an unfair job?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“The news about my failing grades was hard to swallow.”

“It was hard to swallow when she told me she didn’t love me.”

“Being fired is always hard to swallow.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

GWTA Hard to accept
by GWTASuper Member!
Unbearable. Give people hard time. pain in the nick.
by La Princesse de la vie

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

ShiningSun

ShiningSun

United Kingdom

To get treated unequally is hard to swallow but this is life and you will see inequalities everyday everywhere. Keep working hard, raise your voice (where you work), in a friendly way. It is easy to change people’s heart with love rather to change with confrontation. Speaking for everyone makes you a leader and speaking for yourself make you needy.

10:13 AM Feb 03 2018 |

Likes (6):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast