Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Why do we read Quran, even if we can’t understand a single Arabic word????

nadiaaa

nadiaaa

Pakistan

This is a beautiful story.

An old  American Muslim lived on a farm in the mountains of eastern  Kentucky with his young  grandson. Each morning Grandpa was up early sitting at the kitchen table reading  his Quran.  His grandson wanted to be just like him and tried to imitate  him in every way he could.

One day the grandson asked, "Grandpa! I  try to read the Quran just like you but I don't understand it, and what I  do understand I forget as soon as I close the book. What good does reading  the Qur'an do?"

The Grandfather quietly turned from putting coal in the  stove and replied, "Take this coal basket down to the river and bring me back a  basket of water."
The boy did as he was told, but all the water  leaked out before he got back to the house. The grandfather laughed and  said, "You'll have to move a little faster next time," and sent him back to  the river with the basket to try again. This time the boy ran faster, but  again the basket was empty before he returned home. Out of breath, he told  his grandfather that it was impossible to carry water in a basket, and  he went to get a bucket instead.

The old man said, "I don't want a  bucket of water; I want a basket of water. You're just not trying hard  enough," and he went out the door to watch the boy try again.

At  this point, the boy knew it was impossible, but he wanted to show his  grandfather that even if he ran as fast as he could, the water would leak  out before he got back to the house. The boy again dipped the basket into  river and ran hard, but when   he reached his grandfather the basket was  again empty. Out of breath, he said, "See Grandpa, it's useless!"  

"So you think it is useless?" The old man said, "Look at the &nbs! p;basket ."

The boy looked at the basket and for the first time  realized that the basket was different. It had been transformed from a  dirty old coal basket and was now clean, inside and out.

"Son,  that's what happens when you read the Qur'an. You might not understand or  remember everything, but when you read it, you will be changed, inside and out.  That is the work of Allah in our lives."

04:54 AM Aug 16 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

osesame

osesame

Egypt

for fair, thanks Randy for ur words

12:22 PM Aug 23 2008 |

CaN I CrY

CaN I CrY

Turkey

We read in Arabic.. Becoz the Orginal Koran has sent in Arabic language..

but a person should read it in her/his own languahe..Becoz Just to read in Arabic, is wronge.. We can't understand anything..

And the main topic, can't be understood..

So i suggest you read Koran in ur own language, then in Arabic!

12:34 PM Aug 23 2008 |

Nasim

Nasim

India

I don't feel like commenting any more in this forum, more or less due to the personal attacks and just don't ask who's leading it.

As for Osesame >>> U load what you think right into other people's mind. If you choose to be conservative then you can't call the liberal people shameless. This is a show of backwardness. Why can't there be a healthy friendship between men and women.

And for people like as such I've a quote. Read it and try to understand

"To those who have got jaundice the whole world appears yellow."—Pope

That's the problem. U think there can't be any other relation ship between man and woman except SEX. Clear ur mind.

05:59 AM Aug 24 2008 |

monatta

monatta

Saudi Arabia

osesame  ,  for fair  only  ,  do not use these way in discussion .  this is impolite  . when did progresion mention the word (sex) ?  he did not mean what you understood  ,  he meant that he would like to enter the worshipping place with her beloved and set near of her during worshiping . that is all  .

progression  

according to me   ,   

your idea is  not that  bad indeed if the worshipping just request standing or seting .

but when I  just imagine my self doing the movement of the islamic prayer  while men behind me I feel  so  ambbarrassed   .  you sure know how do muslims pray , and what are the movements that are required  .  I think that the arrangement that god chose for the men and women during praying are better   .   

I would like to make a request;

Pls show me the holy verses concerning politeness and rudeness of your religion.

dear  jadd051   ,

I will tell you  what you want ,   read this please :

And do not abuse those  those unto whom they pray beside Allah lest they wrongfully revile Allah through ignorance. Thus unto every nation have We made their deed seem fair. Then unto their Lord is their return, and He will tell them what they used to do. (6 : 108 )  

O ye who believe! Let not a folk deride a folk who may be better than they (are), not let women (deride) women who may be better than they are; neither defame one another, nor insult one another by nicknames. Bad is the name of lewdness after faith. And whoso turneth not in repentance, such are evil-doers. ( 11; 49 )

O ye who believe! Shun much suspicion; for lo! some suspicion is a crime. And spy not, neither backbite one another. Would one of you love to eat the flesh of his dead brother? Ye abhor that (so abhor the other)! And keep your duty (to Allah). Lo! Allah is Relenting, Merciful (49 ; 12)

07:28 AM Aug 24 2008 |

CaN I CrY

CaN I CrY

Turkey

Progression..I didn't mean that Koran has been sent as a book..It has been sent slowly.. Sentence by sentence..Or text by text.

But Prophet Ebu Beqir was an Arab.. So He made write Koran in Arabic language..

So all muslims think that Arabic is the Islam's language.. No it is wronge..

If Prophet Muhammed or Ebu Beqir was a Turkish, Koran would be written in Turkish language..

but now, all mulism in the World choose Arabic to read Koran..Becoz the 1. Koran was in Arabic.. then Translated into other langugaes.. But ppl choose Arabic..

Yes..I choose read koran in Arabic, too… But it is not necessary, I think!

But at first, I prefer my own languagee, Turkish!

then read in Arabic!

10:33 AM Aug 24 2008 |

lilimira

lilimira

Algeria

quran written in arabic is a proof that it's not writen by men.arabic is the only language that haven't changed since the quran was revealed.look at europe languages.they are from the latin language.are they similar to it.use an english word in a latin sentence and see if that word isn't a stranger.arabic language was the well developped language at that time and fits the matter.it still has it's specifity even its people are not civilized.it's my pleasure to learn it and understand quran through it.

concerning religion and logic.i think there's no contradiction.religious thoughts are logical ones.logic is a mean to understand and discover the world.life has different sides and you can't be only mind.and the mind and our own logic lead us to have faith or not.the normal way is to have questions and doubts and to try to answer them and to find your way.and to accept the diversity of people and their logic.but some people only justify their parents convictions while others are against them because of frustration not of logical criticism.some keeps living with doubt until their death.some don't care about anything except the moment they live .others care about desires and proffit.and everyone of us is responsible for his choice.and we have no right to judge others 'choices.

it's comfortable to say i'm atheist because i'm rashional.some peole around me told me   that .while i'm sure they lack of understanding and they've  never tried to understand.they never use logic in everyday life,so how can they use it in a very complex matter as this.i believe that it's dull to think that you are atheist or religious because others are not as smart,free and logical as you.we have different experiences,that's why we take different paths.in the same religion,we don't agree on most of the matters.god preserves our freedom of belief,but some humans don't. 

i started by doubting everything.i had problems with some muslims' practices,but i started to learn to get out  of doubt.i used to believe only in science and i  never thought that 'll return to islam with strong faith.i found after learning about atheism and other religions that everyone of us is not the real image of what he believes and i found that quran is the only objective and perfect book i 've ever read.it has no contradiction with science and fits my nature,so i embraced it willingly.it's my choice and it sounds logical to me.for me it not logical that mohamed knew that stars we see are their positions not the stars themself.that the universe is in constent enlargement….....it's not logical that he could write a book without any sign of subjectivity.

12:57 PM Aug 24 2008 |

jadd051

jadd051

Thailand

Thank you very much Monatta.

I really appreciate your kind answer, and also for the other knowledgeble posts in other threads.

Clearly, the vesrses show wisdom concerning morality.

Unfortunately, sometimes, holy verses just can't over power prejudice of the subject.

...I feel sad every times I see that someone is so blind.

Only thing that one can see so clear is an excuse to commit wrongful act, so one will never feel guilty and will never say sorry.

08:38 PM Aug 24 2008 |

dreamerhh

Oman

quran is a holy book for muslims and no one will feel its greatness only real muslim who understands the meaning when he or she reads.quran is not only book to read,its really great book when you read it u feel comfortable and give you peace inside yourself even when you are sad or in troubles,when you heard some one read quran,the sound attract you and want to know about it more and more,its not the rythm but there is some thing attract  you..do you know why?coz its the quran that given 2 prophet mohammed from allah and muslims people can take their rules of their life from it

12:12 AM Aug 25 2008 |

osesame

osesame

Egypt

"Why can't there be a healthy friendship between men and women"
i think we decieve ourselfs if we say that….the simplest example wathch movies and show me a pure relationship without kissing, flirting or u know….between man and a woman…...woman will stay in man's eyes a woman….unless this man is a gay!!!!!!!........it is an instinct dear…..
let this example, is there still a virgion single woman in west??!!!!!!!..........
i wish not to bluff ourselfs and pretend as we angles
Innocent
live the real life

02:46 PM Aug 26 2008 |

lilimira

lilimira

Algeria

friendship is not relationship.aman and a woman can be friends and lovers and it's very healthy if they get married.but real friendship exists between mature men and women and has it's limits.it's not healthy to see everything as a sexual relation.there are human friendships and sex has no role to play there.

04:03 PM Aug 26 2008 |