Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

HAPPY NOROOZ ( IRANIAN NEW YEAR )

Sina16

Sina16

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

HAPPY NOROOZ

Hi,

How are you Dear friends?

The Iranian new year is coming, It is on march 20th of each year.

No = new

Rooz = day

our new year moment is exactly the moment of spring starting ,we celebrate our new year as the nature celebrate its freshness. as I heard almost all people like refreshing of the spring, maybe most of them have some traditions for it. I heard In the U S studnts are on spring break (for one week).

I will try to write some Iranian new year traditions.

Have a nice time.

regards 

03:21 PM Mar 14 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Sina16

Sina16

Hi,

Let me say, it is not just IRANIAN NEW YEAR.

As I know many people around our country celebrae it as their new year or new spring, like Afghnistan, Tajikistan, many people in Turkey ,kurdish people &....

Have a nice time.

regards

03:26 PM Mar 14 2010 |

Sina16

Sina16

Hi,

how are you Dear friends?

Khāne-takānī (Persian: خانه‌تکانی, lit. Shaking the house) is an Iranian tradition of spring cleaning and part of the Norouz festival.

It usually involves washing carpets, painting the house, and cleaning the yard and the attic, stems from the Zoroastrians' idea of purifying with cleanliness as a measure for keeping Evil away from the kingdom of Good.

Symbolically, Khane tekani "signals to the spirits of the ancestors that their kin are ready and willing to entertain them. In other words, they are invited to descend on their previous homes to help them nourish the growth of the sabzeh, the main source of their sustenance which has been depleted during the long and cold days of winter".

I have heard there is something like this in the US which named (Spring cleaning) .

04:52 PM Mar 14 2010 |

Sina16

Sina16

Hi,

How are you Dear yasmin1410?

Thanks for your comment here.

As I heard in many many years a go some groups of people from Iran  have immigrated to the europe especially some where around croatia ,there are many iranian names for their peoples yet,your name is the name of a flower in Farsi(persian) ((Yasmin (alternatively spelled Yasmine or Yasmeen) is a female given name derived from the Persian and Arabic word for jasmine. ))

You used some iranian name for some numbers too.anyway it can came from the root of those imigrants in many years a go.sure you & the rest eorupian people have a cleaning like that around your eastern celebration too.Hope you have a tidy & warm spring.would you please tell me what are those dolls in ur pictures?regards

02:31 PM Mar 15 2010 |

Sina16

Sina16

Hi,

Have you noticed that the birds returned around you…?

Lets take care of them.

I saw some around.

regards

02:42 PM Mar 15 2010 |

Sina16

Sina16

Hi,

As I said before there are many traditions for spring celebration in my country,I mentioned one of them & here the next one :(this will celebrate tomorrow in my country coz it is the after noon before Wednesday)

Chahārshanbe-Sūri (Persian: چهارشنبه‌سوری, UniPers: Câršanbe-Suri), pronounced Chārshanbe-Sūri (Persian: چارشنبه‌سوری) meaning Wednesday Feast, from the word Sour which means party or feast in Persian is an ancient Persian festival dating at least to 1700 BCE of the early Zoroastrian era.[1] The festival of fire is a prelude to the Norouz festival, which marks the arrival of spring and revival of nature. Traditionally celebrated on the last Wednesday night of the year, Chahrshanbeh Soori has, since the Iranian revolution, been marked on the evening of the last Tuesday. The word Chahar Shanbeh means Wednesday and Suri is red. Bonfires are lit to keep the sun alive till early hours of the morning.[2] The celebration usually starts in the evening, with people making bonfires in the streets and jumping over them.

The tradition includes people going into the streets and alleys to make fires, and jump over them while singing the song Sorkhi-ye to az man, zardi-ye man az to. The literal translation is, Your fiery red color is mine, and my sickly yellow paleness is yours. This is a purification rite and 'soori' itself means redness which hints at the color of fire.[3] Loosely translated, this means you want the fire to take your paleness, sickness, and problems and in turn give you redness, warmth, and energy. There is no religious significance attached to Chaharshanbeh Soori and it serves as a cultural festival for Persians, Persian Jews, Muslims, Armenians, Kurds, Turks and Zoroastrians alike. Indeed this celebration, in particular the significant role of fire, is likely to hail from Zoroastrianism.

regards

02:56 PM Mar 15 2010 |

Sina16

Sina16

Hi,

some pictures of Chahārshanbe-Sūri (Persian: چهارشنبه‌سوری, UniPers: Câršanbe-Suri), pronounced Chārshanbe-Sūri (Persian: چارشنبه‌سوری) meaning Wednesday Feast :

regards

03:03 PM Mar 15 2010 |

Sina16

Sina16

Hi,

Let me say some important thing here :

Unfortunately now adays this tradition has blent with some dangerous bihaviors like use some unsafe & huge firecrackers & stuff which has remained many damages  on this day every year.

even you can heard some people (especially youths) who have died.

Hope all people do safe and be safe Tomorrow after noon.

regards

03:13 PM Mar 15 2010 |

Sina16

Sina16

Hi,

How are you Dear sister FATEMEH?

Thanks for your comment here.

Sure we have to welcome great and fresh spring.

have a nice time.

regards

03:10 PM Mar 16 2010 |

Sina16

Sina16

Hi,

How are you dear yasmin1410?

Thanks for your response.

have a great newrooz there.

enjoy the freshness of the nature.

regards

03:13 PM Mar 16 2010 |

Sina16

Sina16

Hi,

How are you Dearwyz agf?

Thanks for your kindness & advices.

Hope all people around the world enjoy the spring as much as they can.

wish everything will be safe anywhere.

we pray peace  for all good people around the world.

have a nice time.

regards

03:17 PM Mar 16 2010 |